The Park, Saturday Afternoon
Jun. 15th, 2013 08:27 amClad in his finest suit, Topher was halfway through a Mountain Dew and trying to decide whether or not he knew the way out of the park when his phone rang.
"Go for Brink." The person on the other end of the line sounded urgent, so Topher took a sip of soda. No, more like a slurp. "No, I'm not at my -- I'm not at my desk, Boyd." He waved a hand, bored with the response he got. "What do you mean, 'what do you mean?' I'm. Not at. My desk. Am I speaking Swahili?"
Boyd spoke Swahili, apparently. "Of course you do. Listen, Boyd, I'm off today. I know! First time for everything, right? So whatever you need, talk to Ivy. No, really. I've got a feed of my office straight to my phone and I can't wait to see her face when you --" He held his phone away from his ear, examining it. "And... you hung up. Okay. Bye, Boyd! Have fun with Echo!"
Okay, he was talking to the empty park right now. That was sketchy. He should stop that.
Topher ended the call, swiped around on his phone, and pulled up that office feed. Sure enough, there was Ivy, fidgeting as she paced around the office, clearly intimidated by the power that came with being in charge of things for the first time since being hired. It was entrancing.
[[open park!]]
"Go for Brink." The person on the other end of the line sounded urgent, so Topher took a sip of soda. No, more like a slurp. "No, I'm not at my -- I'm not at my desk, Boyd." He waved a hand, bored with the response he got. "What do you mean, 'what do you mean?' I'm. Not at. My desk. Am I speaking Swahili?"
Boyd spoke Swahili, apparently. "Of course you do. Listen, Boyd, I'm off today. I know! First time for everything, right? So whatever you need, talk to Ivy. No, really. I've got a feed of my office straight to my phone and I can't wait to see her face when you --" He held his phone away from his ear, examining it. "And... you hung up. Okay. Bye, Boyd! Have fun with Echo!"
Okay, he was talking to the empty park right now. That was sketchy. He should stop that.
Topher ended the call, swiped around on his phone, and pulled up that office feed. Sure enough, there was Ivy, fidgeting as she paced around the office, clearly intimidated by the power that came with being in charge of things for the first time since being hired. It was entrancing.
[[open park!]]
no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 04:53 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 05:13 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 06:27 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 06:37 pm (UTC)He had not become less obnoxious since graduation. Not even a little bit.
"And how's whatshisname?" he asked in more of a sing-songy voice.
no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 08:05 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 08:09 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 09:15 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 09:30 pm (UTC)And then he grinned. Because how cool was it that there was a backup imprint of his brain?
no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 10:44 pm (UTC)NFB
Date: 2013-06-15 11:01 pm (UTC)"No, the opposite," Topher said, before pausing and realizing that that wasn't quite right. "I mean, wait, no. I do have something in my head, which is my brain, but there's a backup too. So if I'm not in the office, I can still be in the office as long as someone else gets loaded up with my imprint!"
...Well. He thought it was awesome. It had practical real-world implications!
Re: NFB
Date: 2013-06-15 11:48 pm (UTC)Re: NFB
Date: 2013-06-15 11:51 pm (UTC)'Resident' was a good word, actually. Maybe he'd use that. It made them sound like doctors.
Re: NFB
Date: 2013-06-16 02:19 am (UTC)Billy, why would you give Topher ideas like that?
Re: NFB
Date: 2013-06-16 02:59 am (UTC)Re: NFB
Date: 2013-06-16 03:42 am (UTC)Re: NFB
Date: 2013-06-16 04:09 am (UTC)He paused. "So for example, if you ever wanted an Active printed with, say, some superhero to spice things up with you and Theo..." Teddy, Topher. Teddy. "We could theoretically copy an actual scan and the real person's brain would be totally intact."
Re: NFB
Date: 2013-06-16 04:24 am (UTC)Re: NFB
Date: 2013-06-16 04:35 am (UTC)He was really proud of his involvement with this, in case Billy couldn't tell. "I mostly perfected the technology. Fine-tuned it a little. Earlier this year, I imprinted this Active, Echo, to be a new mom. She could actually lactate."
Okay, enough.
Re: NFB
Date: 2013-06-16 03:55 pm (UTC)Re: NFB
Date: 2013-06-16 04:10 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 07:39 pm (UTC)"You! Jerk-face!" She was laughing, though. "You never call, you never write..."
no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 08:06 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 08:08 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 08:09 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 08:11 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 08:28 pm (UTC)She was eating chips.
"...Hey, those are my chips."
no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 08:30 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 08:35 pm (UTC)He thought about texting Ivy to announce his displeasure, but then what if she stopped doing things that he could call her out on? It was quite a pickle.
"'Sup with you, anyway?" he asked, frowning once more at the screen before turning off the display and glancing at Kenzi.
no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 08:39 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 08:42 pm (UTC)He clapped his hands once. "Tell me the story. With as many details as possible. Let's go."
He just didn't want to catch her up on his own stuff, see. Sneaky.
no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 08:45 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 08:49 pm (UTC)He made a face. "You must get a lot of business during the weird weekends."
no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 08:51 pm (UTC)"Foster means they stay for a good long while." Kenzi grinned at him. "I feed them sugar and make sure they know they're safe, Bo and Toby do the rules thing. And oh God, don't even talk to me about weird weekends. Have you ever tried to herd flying ponies?"
Yeah, that one had been... special.
no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 09:08 pm (UTC)Not the same thing. Nope.
no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 09:10 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 09:28 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 09:31 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 10:18 pm (UTC)He snickered. "Work."
no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 10:23 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 10:32 pm (UTC)He was smirking so hard. Look at him, keeping a big secret and stuff. And Adelle said he couldn't do it!
no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 10:35 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 10:37 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 10:38 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 10:58 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 11:00 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 11:02 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 11:03 pm (UTC)"Some-day. Someday. Meantime, bring Bennett to the next one of these things, girl deserves to hear all the dirt."
no subject
Date: 2013-06-15 11:05 pm (UTC)